Early mornings and nosebleeds

For the sixth morning in a row, The Boy woke from his otherwise peaceful slumber before 5AM. And for the second time in three days, he woke with a nosebleed.


I’ve discovered that he is waking so early because he’s hungry. I’m certain he’s hitting another growth spurt. He has outgrown two more footed pajamas and eats as though he believes he may suddenly be deprived of food for weeks (more often than usual, I mean). More than anything, though, he is drinking a lot of fluids. At least I know he’s not dehydrated.

The nighttime ritual has been interrupted with all of this eating, too. As the old saying goes, what goes in must come out, and, well, his system isn’t quite cooperating with bedtime. Yesterday, he went down without incident, only to bounce right back up a few minutes later with some unknown complaint. When he next cried a few minutes after that, I went in to check on him and found him walking in his crib, almost pacing. He paused, grunted, and I waited a few moments before scooping him out of the crib to change his diaper. Once clean and dry, he went back to sleep without any hesitation.

The result? He’s tired. He’s cranky. He’s constantly hungry. And so am I. Well, not the hungry part, though.

As for the nosebleeds… Those just came out of nowhere. Sunday morning, his nosebleed startled me. This was, after all, his first nosebleed. I was holding him, gently trying to rock him back to sleep, when I noticed this dark stuff oozing out of his nose. (Keep in mind the lights were very dim.) Right away, I knew what it was, but I couldn’t understand how it happened. I checked his crib for any signs of blood, thinking he might have coshed himself in his sleep, but I found nothing. I wiped his nose clean (amid much protesting), and that was the end of it.

This morning, his nose was bloody at 3:45 when he awoke (for his first breakfast) and again at 7:15 when he woke from his morning “nap” (Cute Husband was kind enough to return him to bed so that I could catch a few minutes of sleep before really beginning my day). I warned them at school to be on the lookout for it during naptime (and I fully expect him to come home with a bloodied bedsheet), but I have no idea what could have caused it. It’s not a heavy bleed by any means, and it seems to clot just fine. All the same, it’s quite alarming when you look down at his sweet little face and see bloody mucous coming out of his nose. It’s even worse when you don’t get to it in time and he smears it all over his face with his hands. [sigh] Needless to say, I changed his bedding again this morning before we left the house (the fourth time in as many days).

Oh, yeah, and we think he may be teething, too. Those two lower canines still haven’t come in, and he started drooling much more than usual this past weekend.

Can this little guy possibly be any more uncomfortable? Thank goodness his stools are normal and the diaper rash is gone, or I would really hate to be in his place!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s