Only because I saw a number of other bloggers doing it…
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?I prefer wrapping paper (both for giving and receiving), but I’ve been known to use both. Which reminds me… I’m almost out of paper.
2. Tree–Real or Artificial?I had live trees growing up, and I prefer them, but my husband’s family has always done artificial trees. The one we have is one that he’s had for years and years. It’s starting to lose some of its “needles”, though, so we may get one of those artificial pre-lit ones in a year or so.
3. When do you put Christmas tree up? At home, Mom said the tree couldn’t go up until December 17. It’s all in keeping with Simbang Gabi, which is a Filipino novena leading up to midnight mass on Christmas Eve. (I think the 17th is also when my grandfather passed, though.)
4. When do you take the tree down? I would like to take it down New Year’s Eve, but it doesn’t always work like that. I’ve never liked having the tree up for my birthday (which is January 3), and I certainly don’t want to take it down on my birthday.
5. Like egg nog? I could take it or leave it. I really don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other.
6. Do you have a nativity scene? Fisher-Price has a really cute Little People version that I’d love to get. My husband is an Atheist, though, so it’s not something I’d place prominently. It would be fun to re-enact Christ’s birth with the little toys, though, when Baby C gets a bit older.
7. Favorite gift received as a child? In 3rd grade, it was the My Little Pony stable. In 5th grade, it was a pink radio. I can’t really say which I liked better; they were both the best present ever at the time I received them.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My brother-in-law, usually (what do you get for the man who literally has everything – or, at least, the disposable income to get it for himself), but this year I was able to cross him off fairly easily.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Baby C. For now.
10. Worst Christmas gift? A plaster thing of “caroling” snowmen. But it’s the thought, right?
11. Mail or email a Christmas card? Mail.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? It’s a Wonderful Life, if we’re talking about classics. But I’m a big fan of the original Die Hard, too.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Every year, I vow that I’m going to have it done before the start of December. And every year, I find myself wracking my brain the week leading up to Thanksgiving, trying to make my list. So, I typically don’t start until the week or so before Thanksgiving. But I don’t finish, usually, until the weekend before Christmas.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Of course. Just about every year. Sometimes, it’s just unavoidable. But I’m thoughtful when I recycle, and people rarely realize that it’s a recycled present.
15. Favorite food to eat on Christmas? Mom would make her fruit salad and would need to constantly shoo me away. [sigh] Good times. These days, I don’t really have a favorite food for Christmas Day (or Eve).
16. Colored or clear lights? Clear
17. Favorite Christmas Song? Do They Know It’s Christmas? by BandAid, but other favorites include Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses and I Won’t Be Home by Blink 182. Oh, and She Won’t Be Home by Erasure still makes me sad, especially since I haven’t been with my family (parents & sister) at Christmas for several years now.
18. Travel during Christmas or Stay home? This year? Staying home. Last year? Staying home. We stayed home in ’05 and ’04, too, but we went to Kentucky in ’03 to be with Chris’s family. 2002 was the last time I had Christmas with my family.
19. Can you name Santa’s reindeers? Of course!
20. Angel or Star on Tree top? We don’t have a topper for the tree. I’d like to get one, though.
21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? In my family, we opened one present after midnight mass on Christmas Eve (well, Christmas morning, since it was after midnight). My husband’s family opened them Christmas morning. Since he doesn’t go to church, I’ve given up on midnight mass (but try to go to the children’s mass, though I didn’t go last year) and still insist upon opening one present after midnight. The rest can wait until Christmas morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Trying to park at the mall. Which is why I do my shopping online now. =)