Baby C’s week of firsts

This has been a very important week for Baby C: he had his first bath, his first bottle, and his first check-up! (All is well, by the way. He’s still slightly yellowish, but not enough for Dr. W to comment, and he’s grown 3/4 of an inch longer and added 10 ounces to his birth weight.) Now we have an increase in quiet alert time, which means I need to come up with some clever things to say to him while we’re hanging out.

Dr. W suggested bottle-feeding Baby C a few times a day to get him accustomed to that delivery mode, especially since I’ll be returning to work in about a month. So, Cute Husband has bottle-fed Baby C twice now. The first wasn’t as successful, only because there was a whole lot of confusion, but this morning’s feeding went pretty well. It’s certainly a lot easier to just feed him myself, but I have to realize that I’m not going to be able to do that when I go back to work. My plan for this week is to express enough milk to be able to leave Baby C with Cute Husband on Friday and run some errands with Mom. It will be good for me on so many levels; I haven’t been out of the house since we came back from the hospital (two neighborhood walks and the trip to the pediatrician aside)!

Baby C’s first bath this past Friday was very sweet. He actually slept through the whole thing, for which I really can’t blame him, only because it was probably very cozy. He didn’t wake up until we were diapering and dressing him. But that’s my baby for you. And if he’s anything like me, he’ll be able to sleep through anything… once we get him sleeping through the night, anyway. Right now, he sleeps for about two and a half to three hours, but he’s doing just fine at night in his room.

As for me, I’m beginning to feel some semblance of normalcy is in sight. My parents drove out from SoCal this week to drop off some furniture, then the plan was to continue on to a wedding in Atlantic City and spend much of the summer in New York with my sister and my nieces. Cute Husband went back to work this week, and I was having such a rough go of it, my mother stayed behind to help me get my act together. It’s been really nice having her around; she’s making sure I eat enough, not just for me, but for Baby C, too, since I’m his sole source of nutrition. The best thing about having my mother here, I think, is being able to get instant validation for whatever I’m feeling from someone who has already been through it.

I still have very limited time to myself, but hey – it’s a process.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s